A nuclear bomb going off in the atmosphere above a large city could destroy all electronics, power stations, gadgets with which our modern society has increasingly come to depend upon. Or a massive solar flare such as happened in 1859 that destroyed telegraph equipment of the day across the US.
What’s an electromagnetic pulse attack?
There has been grave concern an enemy could strike this country with a missile having a nuclear weapon. On its explosion at a high altitude it would release a burst of radiation. This sudden radiation burst would interact with the earth’s magnetic field and atmosphere as well as the thin upper layer which is filled with free electrons and the ionosphere. All of these are utilized for facilitating radio communications.
The threats of the electromagnetic pulse attack
A large solar flare could be even more devastating as it could be far more widespread across the planet causing wide spread and massive electrical outages for whole continents.
The results of an EMP could be devastating. These are some of the possible results:
- The occurrence of a large EMP is enough to cause a power outage that could months or even years to get the power back on
- The most vulnerable in society would feel the effects most immediately. Those people who rely on medications, especially refrigerated drugs such as insulin would be in immediate danger as well as individuals who rely on medical devices for survival.
- In an EMP attack it could create a tsunami like situation in which the ionized particles would race towards the planet’s surface. Electrical wires as well as electrical cables would act like lightning rods. The result would be that anything connected to them could be disabled, disrupted and even destroyed and anyone near them hurt.
- In the event of an Electro Magnetic Pulse strike the electronic equipments as well as the power generating equipment in the power plants would be damaged severely. There would be no way of easily replacing this equipment.
- Its theorized that if a broad EMP where to happen and the power not restored with in a few weeks then with in a year nearly half the population could perish due to poor food supplies, medications, lack of clean drinking water and more.
- Also an EMP attack would cause all of the major transportation systems to break down. Many of the means of communication would not be possible. You will not be in a position to watch your favorite TV shows, no useable cell phone systems, little radio, and no food or water distribution and no Internet system. All essentials food supplies would have to be rationed.
- It would only take a few targeted EMP attacks on the US power grid to bring the entire system down and no one is quite sure how to bring the system back up given its strong interdependence.
EMP Bomb Threat Scenario
What can be done to stop this threat? It has been rightly said that prevention is better than cure. There is significant discussion by government officials about taking steps to protect the nations power grid so that it can be isolated from any single EMP attack. Individuals need to be prepared as well with giving serious thought to having several months of supplies available for the worst case scenario.