There are plenty of factors that influence the quality of sleep you experience every night. Among these many factors is the pillow. Getting the wrong pillow can aggravate and worsen shoulder tension, neck tension, and headaches. Thus, taking time to choose what type of pillow is best for your sleeping needs will make certain that you wake up every morning feeling ready and refreshed for your day.
There is no denying that getting a good night’s sleep can help you start your day better, right? And resting with the correct pillow can greatly help. It cannot only influence the quality of our sleep but as well as how healthfully we recharge and rest.
However, the wrong pillow might worsen wheezing, sneezing, discomfort, headaches, shoulder numbness, and arm numbness. The wrong pillow will not be the cause but can undoubtedly aggravate lots of underlying problems associated with these symptoms. For a little help, here’s how to choose the best pillow inserts. So, take a read!
Think About Your Sleeping Style
Before you purchase a new pillow, consider your sleep position. The aim or intent of using a pillow is to aid in keeping your head in what’s called an unaligned alignment. It means that your head is settling squarely on your shoulders without reaching too far forward or bending back too far.
According to some experts, if you prefer sleeping on your back, then you need thinner pillows so that your head isn’t reaching too far forward. Additionally, get a pillow with more room in the pillow’s bottom third to hold and support your neck.
On the other hand, if you prefer sleeping on your side, then you need a firmer pillow to occupy or pervade the distance between the outside shoulder and the ear. Lastly, if you prefer sleeping on your stomach, get an almost flat pillow. Surprisingly, you might not even need or require a pillow for your head. However, tuck one pillow under your stomach to keep away from experiencing lower back pain.
There’s no lack or deficiency of fillings you can discover filled in a pillow nowadays. The most typical fillings are foam, down-feather combinations, or polyester fiberfill. Latex pillows and memory foam pillows have become famous over time, specifically among sleepers who are looking for extra neck support.
So, how do you know what is right for you? Well, it may vary on how you are feeling on a particular day. Most people have plenty of pillows to select from. In other words, a pillow wardrobe.
Pillows perform plenty of purposes. For example, you might want a pillow to cradle your neck, especially if your neck is in pain. However, once it feels okay again, that corresponding supportive pillow might not be, for the most part, most comfy for you.
For every type of pillow filling, here’s what you should look for:
- Sleep experts suggest that down or feather is one of the most excellent pillows for a good sleep. The best advantage of this pillow is that you can change the filling around, allowing you to have the optimal support wherever you need it. Moreover, it is soft but firm enough to provide you with the cradle you need.
- Wool and Cotton. Cotton and wool pillows resist dust mites and mold and are hypoallergenic. Both pillows are also quite firm. Thus, if you want a soft pillow, wool and cotton fillers are not for you.
- This filler is probably the firmest pillow type, and it withstands dust mites and mold. Also, it can help you with neck and back alignment because they are designed and engineered for neck support.
- Memory Foam. This pillow type is famous these days because they lessen or reduce pressure points by constantly adjusting and molding to your body shape as you toss and turn during the night. A lot of memory foam pillows arrive in different shapes, for instance, the S-shape, which is designed to cradle the neck. But take note that the memory foam material can often emit an unpleasant odor and make sleepers hot.
- With this pillow type, it is best to go by the density. By that we mean, the greater the density, the more support you’ll have, and the less breakdown.
When buying a new pillow, think much more than the price. Just because a pillow is expensive does not mean that it is the right one for you. The most important thing to note here is how it feels to you because occasionally, you can get something that suits your needs without spending a lot.
Before buying a pillow, it’d be best to read reviews online, for instance, Real Mattress Reviews. If you are in a store and there is the chance to try it out, then try it out. It will be much easier for you to choose if you try it out.