Are you feeling paranoid after a recent burglary in your area? A great way to protect yourself and get some peace of mind is installing security cameras! Security cameras are a great deterrent from crime and keep an eye on suspicious activity.
There are many different types of security cameras built for different uses. Whether you need one for indoor use or outdoors, you will find one that fits your needs. However, since there is so much variety, you should carefully consider your own needs and find the one that is best for you.
Types Of Security Camera
There are many different types of security cameras that you can consider. Here are some of the most popular types you can utilize:
Bullet cameras are the most common type as they are shaped like rifle bullet shells and are small in size. Usually, they are mounted on walls or ceilings, which allows them to have a wide field of vision. These cameras are a great option if you need long-range video and usually come with good night vision. They are also good for the outdoors since they tend to be weather resistant.
Pan, Tilt, and Zoom (PTZ) cameras have great functionality. They come with a rotating lens, zoom capabilities, and a directional function. The best part is that you can control a PTZ camera remotely, which makes it a super convenient option. If you want to monitor a large space from a centralized point, then a PTZ camera will get the job done.
Dome Security Cameras
Dome surveillance cameras have great focal length and resolution. They also have durable covers, which makes them more resistant to vandalism and extreme weather. You can also get a dome camera with a rotating option which will provide you with a 360-degree view.
C-mount CCTV cameras are also a popular option. C-mount cameras have great resolution. This means that they are able to capture everything clearly, which is a great advantage when you need evidence after a theft or some other event.
Day/Night cameras are also an excellent option. They have an automatic adjustable feature that allows them to adjust to both daylight and nightlight. These should be your go-to option if you are looking for an option that is effective for both day and night time.
5 Tips For Choosing The Right Security Cameras For You
Here are five tips that will help you pick the right security camera for your needs:
- Consider the purpose of the camera. Many people use cameras as visual deterrents. In this case, it can make sense to pick a box camera that is big and obvious. Since it will be so in-your-face, it will remind people that they are being watched, and this can help deter theft. In some cases, you may need a camera that is discreet; in this case, you should opt for one that is small and compact. PZT cameras tend to come in compact sizes.
- Another aspect you should consider is if you will be installing the security camera indoors or outdoors. Many new options can work both indoors and outdoors. However, if you live in extremely cold weather, then go for a camera with a durable design and weather resistance. If you want to use a camera in an industrial area, you may want to opt for one that is resistant to industrial materials like sawdust, etc.
- Another basic yet very important consideration is the size of the area that you want to monitor with the security camera. If you want to cover a large area, then a PTZ camera is a good choice since it allows you to rotate and zoom. By choosing a PTZ camera, you can get the job done without multiple cameras. In case you need to monitor a smaller space, you can opt for a dome security camera.
- Think about the resolution of the images you need! If you want to set up security for a commercial space, you should opt for higher resolution cameras since they can help catch instances of theft with more clarity. In small areas, like hallways or reception rooms, you can make do with a low-resolution camera. So make sure you consider your space and needs before splurging on a high-resolution camera.
- You should also consider the lighting condition of the area. If you need an outside camera, then it makes sense to get a Day/Light camera since it can adjust to whatever the light situation is. If you are installing a camera indoors in a well-lit space, then you can opt for any regular security camera.
Security cameras can help deter crimes by 17%. Whether you need to protect your business or your home, a security camera will get the job done. However, make sure you keep our five tips in mind so you can pick the right security camera for your needs!