If at any point of time should a natural disaster strike your community you might not be able to get water, food and electricity for days or even weeks. Water quickly becomes very important if you don’t have access fresh drinkable water. Here are a few ideas on how to ensure you have a solid supply of water to carry you through. Its important to have proper planning in advance to ensure you keep you and your family healthy.
Where to Find Clean Water During a Disaster
You can find sources at home to ensure that you and your family have water in times of an emergency at home. First you can fill containers with ice that you have available and water which can be placed in your refrigerator. By melting the ice slowly you will be able to have clean drinking and the refrigerator provides insulation to help it stay cool longer.
There are many other places in your home where you can find clean drinking water including:
- You will be able to get clean drinking water in your toilet tank. This obviously does not mean the water in the bowl! If the tank is clean and mixed with chemical cleansing agents then it is perfectly safe to drink.
- For survival in disasters you can also get clean drinking water from your water pipes which are waiting be to run into your home. You can get drinking water by draining this water out for use and keeping it.
- It will also be possible for you to get safe drinking water from your hot water heater by shutting off the power and allowing the water to cool. By opening the drain valve which is situated at the bottom of the tank let the water flow into a large, clean container.
Of course you need to consider outside water sources which are safe. Here are some of the other sources from where you may be able to get clean drinking water outside of your home:
- Rain water which has been accumulated in a clean container or on a piece of plastic
- Water that is still in your garden hose
- Melted snow
- Streams, rivers, and other moving bodies of water
- Natural springs
- Ponds and lakes
Preparing and treating water
However, you should be careful to treat the water before drinking it. Here are a few options:
- Boiling – If you have access to natural gas still or of course good old firewood you can boil the water.
- Purification Tablets – These tablets will release chemicals into the water to purify it.
- Water Purifier – Plan in advance and have a hand powered water purifier handy so you can filter and purify any water source you have access to.
Consider these CDC guidelines for additional tips: http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/emergency/safe_water/personal.html
In the end it is advisable that care should be taken to ensure that the water which you get from these different types of sources is not contaminated. If the water is unsafe then you will have to do something to purify it or avoid it all together otherwise you could get very sick and depending on the contaminant it could be fatal.
Survival Hack – Where to Find Fresh Clean Drinking Water in an Emergency