What You Should Do If An Electrical Outlet Isn’t Working

views

Electricity is an essential part of daily life but it is also incredibly dangerous and capable of killing. Studies show that nearly 1,000 people are hospitalized every year thanks to electric shocks.

In short, if you don’t know anything about electricity then an outlet not working is not your cue to find out more. The best idea to resolve the issue is to contact a qualified and reputable local Sydney electrician.

However, if you have a little knowledge and are determined to figure out the issue yourself, a little knowledge can go a long way.

Check The Circuit Breaker

If a socket, doesn’t have power then head straight to your main control panel and check the relevant circuit breaker. They should all be marked. If the socket circuit breaker is off then you’ll want to turn it back on. But, before you do, make sure nothing is plugged in on that circuit.

If it turns straight off again then you probably have a bad circuit breaker that needs replacing.

However, if it stays on, you’ll need to plug everything back into the circuit one thing at a time. If it trips then it is likely that a specific appliance is responsible for the issue.

Don’t forget, sometimes a breaker trips for no discernable reason and everything is fine again afterward.

Bad Wiring

Wiring is fairly tough. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t encounter issues. For example, if the circuit is overloaded the wires will get hot and can melt their outer coating. Equally, rodents can bite through them. In both cases, you will be left with an exposed wire. This can tap against the other wires and cause a short circuit that disrupts your electrical supply.

It should be noted that wiring can also go bad simply due to old age and that bad wiring increases the risk of a fire in your home.

Burned Out Outlets

Just as the wiring can go bad, so can the sockets. They may look fine from the outside but inside they could have melted and allowed the circuits to cross. Again, the result is short circuits, power outages, tripped breakers, and a risk of fire.

A burned outlet can be a result of bad wiring, overloaded circuits, old age, or even sabotage!

If you notice an outlet that is warm to the touch or making a buzzing noise then it probably has a wiring issue and is likely to be a burnt-out outlet.

The only remedy for this is to replace the outlet, assuming the wiring behind it is in good condition still.

Get Help

Identifying the issue is one thing but dealing with it can be much harder as you are dealing with a dangerous substance. Turning the main power off will help you tinker but you’ll need to be confident in your results before you turn it back on.

If you have any doubts then the best course of action is to leave it to the professionals.

Share this
Tags

Must-read

The Benefits of Professional Landscaping Services for Your Home

Maximize your home's appeal and value with professional landscaping services, and discover how...

Eco-Friendly Landscaping Practices for a Sustainable Yard

Harness the power of nature with eco-friendly landscaping to create a sustainable yard that...

Enhancing Your Homes Security With Environmental Monitoring

Fortify your home against unseen dangers with environmental monitoring, and discover how to protect your sanctuary...

Recent articles

More like this