After a long day, who doesn’t want to return to a clean and tidy home? Even with all your best cleaning efforts, keeping your home fresh cannot be easy.
Spraying some air freshener is a quick solution to unpleasant odors. However, masking it is not always the best solution.
Did you know you can remove (not cover!) odors from your home? You can eliminate those unpleasant odors with products already in your home. These seven household products can be used as odor traps.
First, determine the source of odor
Identifying the source of an unpleasant odor in your house is important. You will need first to address the source of the musty odor, such as mold or a plumbing problem.
Sometimes unpleasant odors can be caused by a neglected or dirty room area. Cleaning that area should be your priority. These are the most common sources of odors you should look for if you don’t know where it is coming from.
- Trash cans: It’s okay to forget any residue or spills, even if you empty the trash. If you don’t wash the trash can, it can smell worse than the trash.
- Garbage disposal: Grease and food bits can get caught under the blades, creating a foul odor.
- Refrigerator: Spoiled Food might emit an unpleasant odor. Spills and drips can also cause odors.
- Carpets: Although your carpets may look clean, they can trap spills in the fibers. Check if your carpet needs a deep cleaning.
- Closets: If some clothing isn’t in the season, it’s easy to forget a section of your wardrobe. This can lead to poor ventilation and humidity, which can cause musty odors.
- Bedding linens: Even after a shower, you will still have natural oils in your body, which can build up over time in your bed.
How to get rid of unpleasant odors from your home
Sometimes, it is as simple as cleaning the source of the unpleasant smell. You can speed up the process by using a powerful deodorizer. You can take help from the professional Bellevue cleaning service to remove odor from your house, or you can use these household products to deodorize your home.
1. Baking soda
This powder can be used to remove gunk and grime. It also can combat odors. A small bowl containing baking soda is one way to eliminate the smells from your fridge.
Baking soda is another option to keep the carpet smelling fresh. After 15 minutes, sprinkle the powder on the carpet. This trick can also be used on other textiles.
2. White vinegar
White vinegar can appear to add smells rather than deal with them at first glance. But don’t let vinegar’s smell fool you. This household product is an effective natural odor eliminator because of its acidity.
A simmering pot is the best way to use vinegar for odor removal. You’ll notice a difference in the water and vinegar when you combine them in a pot and simmer it for about 15 minutes.
You can use lemon peels to replace white vinegar if you don’t want the vinegar to smell. Acids in vinegar and lemon react with molecules that can cause foul odors.
You’ll also love the scent of citrus, which can be used to dissolve oil and grease in your garbage disposal. These are the steps you need to take to clean it and deodorize.
- Step 1: Place a cup of ice into your garbage disposal. Next, add a cup of salt to the ice and squeeze a lemon over it.
- Step 2: Turn on the garbage disposal and let the water run. The salt and ice will clean the blades, while the lemon juice will leave a fresh fragrance.
4. Cat litter
Cat owners know how cat litter absorbs moisture and keeps odors out. You can also use it to trap other odors in your home. It works well, and it is very affordable.
Cat litter is a great choice to trap moisture and musty odors in your trash can. Place one scoop of cat litter in the trash bag and then replace the bag when it becomes moist.
5. Coffee grounds
This odor trap may be of interest to coffee lovers. The smell of coffee activates, trapping any odor particles and adding a rich aroma. Fill a small bowl with used coffee grounds, and place it in your bathroom or cupboards.
You can also use coffee in your car by placing a few holes in the lid.
It cannot be easy to keep a clean and tidy house. It can become a breeding ground for bacteria, parasites, and fungi if the house isn’t cleaned regularly. Unprofessional or irregular cleaning can lead to unpleasant odors that make your home unwelcoming for guests. House cleaning is essential to maintain hygiene, cleanliness, and overall health.