For some years, keyless locks have aroused debates not only among home security experts but also among consumers themselves.
Some love them, others hate them, and both sides are right. Sure, a professionally fitted, keyless lock is safe, but will it protect your property more than a traditional lock?
This type of lock owes its origin to home automation, thanks to which the home becomes more and more intelligent. This allows users to take advantage of technology to perform actions that previously required direct intervention.
A real revolution that makes life easier and also brings improvements in terms of home safety. In this article, we explain how it works and what are the advantages of using a keyless lock.
What Is A Digital Keyless Lock?
Keyless locks are an evolution of traditional locks. These locks use electric current and/or its battery. Moreover, they make the closing and opening a door much more secure and comfortable.
It is a relatively modern invention, and that it requires the use of electrical energy causes a lot of reluctance among the public.
Its use is increasingly widespread. Especially in companies (tourist apartments, hotels, sports complexes, etc.) and even in family homes, although less.
Despite the uncertainty of some people, electronic locks are secure. What’s more, they are safer than mechanical locks.
The price of smart keyless locks is relatively high. Especially when compared to mechanical locks, although their use is on the rise, it is not yet widespread.
The Advantages of Using a Keyless Lock
- They work without a key, so from now on, especially if you have the habit of losing your keys frequently, you can breathe a sigh of relief.
- They easily allow access to authorized personnel. So if a person does not have a passcode and needs to enter urgently, they can’t get in. They will need to contact you to get the code before doing so.
- They are easy to open and use, even for disabled people. And nowadays they are also more aesthetically pleasing. They are commercially available in a wide range of styles and colors.
- From the simple duplication of keys to the intervention of a professional, people can do it all. Buying a keyless lock means saving money, earning convenience and safety in the long run.
- Compared to traditional locks, the keyless ones can hardly be tampered with. The remote control makes it an excellent solution also for commercial activities and holiday homes. In fact, there is no need to be physically present to allow collaborators and guests to enter.
Drawbacks of it
The keys with the numbers for dialing the code must be cleaned every day. Otherwise, it will be easier for the bad guys to guess the combination of the passcode.
If your keyless locks are powered by electricity, you may find yourself with the door open in the event of a load-shedding. The solution in this case? Rely on digital locks with spare batteries.
If memory isn’t your thing, being forced to remember a PIN may be uncomfortable. And if you’re in the habit of writing passwords on sheets of paper, you have a chance of losing them.
How Much Does An Electronic Lock With Wi-Fi Cost?
The price for this type of lock ranges from $100 for basic versions to over $450. It all depends on the range of features available and the ability to add additional components.
Think of the opening with voice command, the possibility of connecting the lock to Google Home, Alexa, or similar or even to the device for fingerprint recognition.
Aspects to Consider When Choosing the Best Keyless Locks
Saving is never a profit. So don’t make price the only criterion of choice. Instead, choose the product based on the quality of the materials and technology used. The coverage offered by the product warranty and the presence of a customer support service is important to think about.
A good Keyless lock offers all these valuable elements. Always check the compatibility of the lock with the door you intend to install it on. Some may require the assembly of a special cylinder. In this case, we recommend that you request a quote and contact an experienced and reliable professional to install the lock.
However, one thing is certain: they are safe and comfortable. But for the installation of electronic locks, it is better to rely on a professional who knows not only what he does. But it also guarantees work done professionally and strictly anti-thief. Only then you will enjoy the advantages of using a keyless lock.