It is no surprise that many electricity companies distribute power in Connecticut. However, finding the best CT electricity supplier can be overwhelming, especially if you don’t know the CT electricity rates. You must first understand the prices to get the best deals in CT. And if you run a business, it gets even more crucial to get the best deals in business energy.
In this article, we explore the average electricity prices for residential, commercial, and industrial consumers in Connecticut. We’ll also look at the utility companies and suppliers who distribute electricity to CT residents and tips for choosing the best electric supplier.
Electricity Rates in Connecticut (CT)
Connecticut has one of the highest electricity rates in the United States. However, energy prices vary by type of consumers. Here are the average electricity costs for different types of consumers, including residential, commercial, and industrial customers.
Residential Electricity Rates in CT
Residential electric rates in CT are the highest compared to other electricity consumers. Connecticut residents pay an average of 17.34 cents per kWh for electricity, ranking the state 4th in the United States. However, this rate can vary based on several factors.
Notably, the average residential electricity price in Connecticut is higher than the national average of 11.88 cents per kWh by 45.96 percent. The U.S. prices range between 8.37 and 37.34 cents per kWh. That shows how residential electricity rates in CT are very high.
On average, Connecticut residents spend $127 monthly on electricity bills, which is higher than the U.S. monthly average of $107 by 18.69 percent. Besides, CT residents consume 731 kWh of power every month on average.
Commercial Electricity Rates in CT
The average commercial electricity rate in CT is 14.65 cents per kWh, higher than the U.S. average of 10.09 cents per kWh by 45.19 percent. With the electric rates, commercial customers end up spending an average of $1,053 every month on the electricity bill.
Additionally, the average commercial electricity consumption in Connecticut is 7,188 kWh per month, ranking the state 8th in the United States. It is higher than the national average electric power consumption of 6,238 kWh per month by 15.23 percent.
Connecticut Industrial Electric Rates
Industries consume the highest amount of electricity in Connecticut. The industrial power consumption averages 63,947 kWh per month, ranking the state 40th in the United States. It is less than the national average industrial use by 42.98 percent.
However, industries pay the lowest electricity rates because electric suppliers don’t have to step down power for industrial use. The industrial electricity rates average 12.67 cents per kWh, higher than the U.S. average of 6.67 cents per kWh by 89.96 percent.
When it comes to an average electricity bill in CT, industries spend an average of $8,104 per month on bills, which ranks the state 27th in the U.S. This average is 8.3 percent higher than the United States’ average electric bill of $7,483 per month.
Connecticut Electricity Companies and Suppliers
The Public Utilities Regulatory Authority (PURA) regulates all the activities that electricity companies and suppliers in Connecticut carry out. That includes their electricity rates and terms of service. Here are the two utility companies that distribute power in Connecticut.
- Eversource: It is the largest energy delivery company in Connecticut, providing both natural gas and electricity utility services in the CT. It also extends its services to other states such as Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
- United Illuminating Company: It oversees power transmission and distribution in the Bridgeport and New Haven regions. Its headquarter is in Orange, Connecticut.
Electricity Suppliers in Connecticut
Connecticut’s energy marketplace is highly competitive, with a growing number of electric suppliers. However, these power suppliers charge different electricity rates and terms of service. Here are some of the popular electricity providers in CT.
- Constellation Energy
- Direct Energy
- Spark Energy
- Clearview Energy
- ConEdison Solutions
How to Shop for the Best Electric Supplier in Connecticut
As many companies supply power in Connecticut, choosing the best electric supplier can be quite tricky. PURA runs EnergizeCT, an informative website that helps Connecticut residents and businesses to purchase electricity from reputable electricity suppliers.
EnergizeCT provides information about rebates for different utility companies and energy efficiency tips that can help you save money on electricity. Most listings in the EnergizeCT website consist of competitive offers from different electric suppliers.
You can shop for an electric supplier on the EnergizeCT website. But first, you must evaluate your energy needs as that will help you choose an electricity supplier who will fulfill your needs. Here are the steps to follow to find the best electric rates in Connecticut.
- Visit the EnergizeCT website and click the link tab, “find electric supplier rates.”
- On the checkbox, select your utility company, whether Eversource or UI and then check “business” or “resident” depending on your needs
- Once you’ve checked your options, click the comparison button and you’ll see the rates of different electricity suppliers
- Check through and compare the suppliers’ prices, energy sources, and term lengths
To compare electric rates in CT, you can also visit electricrate.com and enter your Zip code. You will get a list of several electrical suppliers in your area, together with their rates and terms of service. Choose a plan that works best for you.
Things to Consider When Shopping for Electric Suppliers in CT
Electric suppliers in CT operate differently. Here are some of the things to consider to find the best deals in the electricity market.
- Electricity Rates:Check if the prices are competitive and compare them with your local utility rates. Select the company that offers the lowest electricity rates.
- Terms of Service: Refers to the terms of contract agreement between you and an electric supplier, including the term length of a contract
- Additional Fees: Besides the usual electricity prices, a CT electricity supplier may charge enrollment fees and contract cancellation fees
- Financial Stability: As much as PURA sets standards for electric utility companies and suppliers, you should always check if a company is financially stable to avoid future inconveniences. Find out how long a supplier has been in the business.
As you shop for an electric supplier in Connecticut, ensure that you understand your rights to avoid getting exploited. Also, determine your electricity needs to help you choose the right plan, whether you need power for residential, industrial, or commercial usage.
If you don’t understand the terms of service of an electricity company, inquire more by contacting them through their website. Most importantly, select a CT electric supplier with the lowest CT electric rates and the best reliable power distribution services.