When it comes to choosing the best vacuum cleaner for the cleaning duties you have lots of choices. In this article, we will guide you through the various types of vacuums, what they are, and what they are designed to clean.
First off you should have a general idea of what you need, is your home all hardwood floors, carpeted floors, or tiles? Do you have problems with allergies because of dust? Upright, canister, handheld, stick vacuum what do you choose?
Let’s move on to the selection criteria and you will know better before you really go to choose the vacuum model.
Types of Vacuum Cleaners
Upright vacuum cleaners are the basis of all vacuum cleaning systems. Upright vacs are perfect for general floor cleaning, especially on the carpeted floors. These types of vacuums are among the most powerful and widely used of all types of vacuum cleaning systems.
Canister vacuums are designed for almost any area of your home or office. Some of the areas that a canister vac would come in handy include hard floors, corners, stairways, and drapery. These types of vacs are handy, they are much easy to move than uprights and they also very good for the above floor cleanings.
Stick vacuums are another alternative to the upright, but they offer less power, perfect for smaller areas or quick cleanup. Prices for sticks vacs are much cheaper than upright so if you don’t need a heavy-duty machine, then a stick vacuum might be worth reviewing. Nowadays, the stick model also quite powerful and you can take advantage of cordless convenience.
Robotic or robot vacuum is very popular nowadays. This is because these cordless machines can clean your home automatically or even you are not at home. They are able to return to the charge-based if the battery getting weak for recharging.
This robot vacuum is more suitable for cleaning hard floors and the price is also higher compare to the traditional vacuums. If you are really busy, then you should check out robotic vacuum cleaners that can actually clean the floors by just on the vacuum and leave it.
If you need to clean the interior of your car, then a handheld vacuum is for you. These types of vacuum cleaners are usually battery powered (cordless). The main reason for you to buy this type of vacuum is strictly for smaller duties, as well as small hard to clean areas, such as between furniture and other crevices.
With backpack vacuums, these models are designed for commercial cleaners who need, the most efficient way to clean commercial offices. So, it’s very suitable for cleaning larger office areas.
Central vacuum systems – these units should be installed in your home while you are building it. Your hose plugs into the wall, there is no need to lug around a heavy machine with this system. So the installation cost will be higher compare to other vacuums.
What to look for when comparing the features?
The following are some of the important criteria to check before you want to buy a specific model:
- Power – Check out the vacuum power, of course, a more powerful vacuum is better and faster when you do the cleaning jobs.
- Weight – some vacuums can get pretty heavy, so if you plan on doing a lot of vacuuming then try to find the lightest vacuum for easy maneuverability.
- Filtration system – the best filtration system to have is a HEPA filter system. HEPA vacuums are designed for people who suffer from allergies, caused by dust mites and other particles stuck in your carpets.
- Bagless vs Bagged – want to save the hassle of buying and replacing vacuum bags, then a bagless vacuum might be a good choice. When the container becomes full just empty it out, pretty simple system.
- Headlight – if you’re home is dark or you want to clean in the pitch black, then a headlight is great, you can light up all the dirt and debris in your path and suck it up.
- Accessories – looking for a vacuum with the right type of attachments is important. Crevice tools are a must but for instance, drapery tools are only good if you have drapes, many people only have blinds.
- Warranty – Vacuum model that offer longer warranty periods can be an ideal choice. Some brands like Miele or Dyson can offer a longer warranty compared to other brands that offer a year warranty.
Popular Vacuum Manufacturers
A number of companies manufacturer industrial, commercial, and household vacuums such as Kirby, Hoover, Rainbow, Eureka, Dyson, Electrolux, Panasonic, Oreck, Kenmore, Roomba, Miele, Shark, Shark, Simplicity, Dirt Devil, Bissell, Black & Decker, Bosch, Craftsman, Dewalt, Dirt Magic, Fantom, Samsung, Filter Queen, and more.
Some of the top names in the industry include Dyson, Hoover, Eureka, Roomba, and Euro-Pro Shark. If you want to find some cheap deals, then I suggest buying or at least comparing online store prices to those in the vacuum stores.
Some of the online stores like Amazon are offering free delivery services and hence worth considering. Also, set a budget and get a vacuum model within your budget. If you need it, you can go to the local vacuum store and seek professional advice.