A conventional ceiling is the ceiling type we commonly see in homes. It is usually 8 feet high but can be 9 to 10 feet high in a custom home. Most conventional ceilings are typically finished flat with a surface just like the walls. Among the other types of ceilings, a conventional ceiling is probably the easiest to build and it is very functional as well.
However, conventional ceilings are plain looking, flat surfaces and they do not draw that much attention unlike other ceiling styles such as coffered and tray ceilings. The secret to making conventional ceilings look more appealing is through their paint and finishes.
If you’re planning to go for conventional ceilings for your home but you want them to look more stylish, then you need to decide on the ceiling finish that will suit your preferences. If you haven’t decided yet, we are here to help you by giving you the different ceiling finishes you can do for conventional ceilings.
Conventional Ceiling Finishes
Conventional ceilings are better decorated or finished to some extent just like the walls of a house to make them look more appealing. A conventional ceiling is a flat surface that is in direct proportion to the floor, that is why special consideration should be attributed to its finishing as well. Here are some of the different finishing you can choose from.
This is probably the oldest form of finishing known to modern construction. It is a plain cement plastering that is used as a base for ceiling finishing. Plastering has been used by Cathedrals centuries ago for their interior finishing but it has evolved over the centuries. Today, there are different techniques to make a plaster finish look more interesting.
- Sand Plaster – With this type of plastering, cement, and coarse sand is applied. It results in a plaster finish that has a sandy look and feel.
- Roughcast Plaster – This type of plaster is a mix of sand and gravel splattered on wet cement plaster. This finishing can give a rustic feel on your conventional ceiling.
- Pebbled Dash Plaster – This one is similar to roughcast plaster but it uses 6mm pebbles instead of gravel.
Drywall is composed of panels that are made of gypsum plaster that is pressed between thick sheets of paper then kiln dried. This finishing is easier and faster to install compared to plastering. There are also various drywall ceiling finishes that can add interest to your conventional ceiling which are being used extensively in modern structures because they are cost-effective and simple to apply. Here are some of them.
- Skim Coating – This type of finishing seals up joints in the drywall and add a little texture to the ceiling.
- Mud Swirl – To create this texture, a thin compound is applied to the board creating overlapping swirls that can make the ceiling look more stylish.
- Popcorn Ceiling – This type of finishing is done using a specified machine that has an air hose to blow the compound on the ceiling surface. It is a stunning ceiling finish and it can look more appealing if you add some glitter with the compound for an added effect. It is also a great finishing if you want to hide some ceiling imperfections such as cracks, leak damage, defects, and even poor drywall workmanship.
- Plaster Stenciling – This type of finishing can add focal points on a flat and boring ceiling because of its raised plaster stenciling.
- Smooth Ceiling – If you want a room to have an elegant appearance, a smooth ceiling finish is a great choice because it blends seamlessly into the walls. It can also reflect natural light more readily on sunny days. A smooth ceiling finish can also make a room look larger and airier.
This is a type of surface coating applied in ceilings where you can basically do your own designs by using a roller brush with design, a plain brush, or even just a piece of rug and go freestyle.
These are some of the best ceiling finishes you can choose from for to make your conventional ceiling look more stylish and appealing. But aside from these, you can also opt for other ceiling finishes such as wallpaper with matching borders or painting the ceiling with textured paint.
Conventional ceilings are probably the simplest type of ceilings among other styles but if you are creative enough, you will be able to make them look elegant, making them add a wonderful ambiance to your home.