You might be wondering – do I need a dehumidifier in my home? It’s just one more thing to have to buy and take care of, right? Well, not quite. For some people, a dehumidifier is an essential appliance that they need to live comfortably. It is true, however, that not everyone needs a dehumidifier.
Signs that you need a dehumidifier include moist areas in your home, evidence of mold, a musty smell, and areas of stuffy air within your home.
If you’re still not sure whether or not you need one, keep reading to learn about some of the reasons that dehumidifiers are worth it for some homeowners.
Helps get rid of allergies
If you or a loved one suffers from allergies or asthma, you probably already know the value of keeping your home as clean as possible. One of the ways to further improve the cleanliness of your home is with a dehumidifier. Dehumidifiers help remove moisture from the air, which can help reduce the chances of mold and reduce the number of dust mites from within the home.
Removing the humidity from your home can also help reduce other toxins from within your home. Mold and other allergens can be just as triggering as outdoor pollutants. To reduce allergens within your home, use a dehumidifier to help keep your home’s humidity under control.
Helps get rid of mold and mildew
Moisture can collect throughout your home, especially in places such as your basement, your bathroom, and around your pipes. Eventually, moisture in your home leads to mold and mildew. Mold and mildew in your home can lead to many health problems, including asthma attacks and respiratory problems. A dehumidifier helps to reduce moisture, which then helps to reduce mold and mildew.
You will also want to determine where the moisture is coming from. Damp basements could be a sign that there is a crack in your foundation or another underlying concern. Some moisture in bathrooms is to be expected, but if ventilation doesn’t help, there could be a leak somewhere.
Gets rid of musty smells
If mold and moisture go undetected, it could eventually lead to a musty smell. Homeowners might realize they have a problem when their entryway, basement, garage, or crawlspace starts to develop an unusual odor. To reduce that musty smell, you need to get rid of the mold and moisture from within your home. And one of the ways to do this is with a dehumidifier.
Of course, if you have visible mold within your home, you’ll also need to find a way to get rid of that. As long as it isn’t black mold, you should be able to get rid of mold by scrubbing with a mixture of water and bleach.
Allows you to breathe easier
Getting rid of humidity within your home allows you to breathe more easily, even if you do not have asthma or allergies. Humidity in houses can leave rooms feeling stuffy. It can also make the temperature in your house feel warmer. Using a dehumidifier gets rid of all those unwanted toxins in the air. And when paired with an air purifier, a dehumidifier can improve the overall air quality of your home. Sites such as getdehumidifiers.com allow you to find a dehumidifier that meets your needs.
If you have tried to improve the airflow of your home, such as by using fans, and your rooms still feel stuffy – it could be a humidity problem. Removing the humidity from the air can make your home more comfortable.
Helps reduce the chance of deteriorating
Finally, moisture in your house can cause certain areas of your house to start deteriorating. Moisture can cause wooden structures to start to rot. And if moisture is left on metal, metal will eventually begin to rust. If moisture goes untreated in your house, your house will start deteriorating quickly. However, running a dehumidifier can help reduce some of this moisture and keep your house in better condition.
However, if there is an extreme amount of moisture in your house, you will also want to try and find out what is causing the moisture problem. For example, if you experience a lot of condensation on your pipes, pipe insulation can help.
So, to answer the question – are dehumidifiers in the home worth it? For some people, the answer is yes! If you have allergies, have problems with moisture in your home, or just want to improve the overall air quality in your home, a dehumidifier is worth it.