Almonds are healthy. There is no doubt about that. However, merely eating a single almond per day won’t benefit you much. This raises many questions, how much almonds you should eat daily, in which form you should eat them, and so on.
Today, with expert knowledge from Onlinekade.lk (One of the largest sellers of imported Almonds in Sri Lanka), the post below will answer all these questions for you.
How many Almonds per day?
A single ounce of almonds per day is good enough. In a single ounce of almonds, there are anywhere from 20 to 24 almonds depending on their weight. Almonds consist of numerous nutrients:
- Vitamin E
When eating nuts, it is also good to look at the type of fats it offers. The good news is that almonds consist of 1 g of saturated fat and 13 g of unsaturated fat. Unsaturated fat is good for your body, so consuming an ounce of almonds daily isn’t a problem.
Not only that but since almonds are cholesterol free, there is no need to worry about health problems from consuming almonds.
Can you eat raw almonds directly?
Yes, you can eat almonds in raw form directly. If you look at the classification of almonds, they are seeds rather than nuts. Since you can easily consume seeds in the raw form, you can also consume almonds in the raw form.
Due to any reason if you aren’t able to consume almonds in their raw form, there are numerous other ways in which you can consume them:
- As a garnish
- As almond milk
- Butter form
- Flour form – great for sifting
- Soaked form
- And so on
With so many options available, you are certain to find at least one which you prefer over others. Consequently, it becomes easier to consume an ounce of almonds daily.
How much protein do you get from Almonds?
According to Harvard, a single ounce of almonds consists of 6 g protein. Additionally, when you look at the other nutrients in a single almond, you will realize that it is one of the most nutrient-dense nuts you can go with.
You will get 165 cal (monosaturated fats), 6 g of carbohydrates and 3 g of fiber in a single ounce of almonds. As highlighted above, there are many other nutrients present in almonds.
Consuming almonds and a handful of other nuts daily ensures that you do not suffer from any vitamin and mineral deficiencies. This will help you lead a healthier life and ensure your body can maintain energy levels.
How many calories are in Almonds?
An ounce of almonds consists of 165 cal. Out of this, there is 14 g of fat. However, there is nothing to worry about because the fat is 80% monounsaturated, 15% polyunsaturated, and only 5% saturated fat.
Most unsaturated fat variants do not harm your body; therefore, even if you consume almonds regularly, you won’t have to worry about clogging up your arteries.
Peel or not to peel?
You can consume peeled as well as unpeeled almonds. However, consuming peeled almonds provides you with an added advantage. The added advantages include the following:
- The absorption of nutrients is better when you peel the skin of the almonds. It means it is best to peel off the skin if you want maximum benefits by consuming the almonds.
- The skin of the almond is not as easy to digest as the rest of the almond. If you truly plan on consuming an ounce of almonds daily, sooner than later, the skin will hamper your experience. It is best to peel off the skin to ensure that does not happen.
However, there is a downside to eating peeled almonds as well. When you peel off the skin of the almonds, you also reduce their fiber content.Are there side effects?
If you consume almonds in quantity mentioned above, there are no side effects. However, if you consume more than an ounce of almonds daily, you can suffer from certain side effects like:
- Bloating of the stomach
- Upset stomach
- Breathing issues
- Higher probability of kidney stone
- Lower nutrient absorption
The side effects are rare and only occur when you consume more than an ounce of almonds regularly for a long time.
Some individuals might be allergic to almonds and other nuts. When such individuals consume almonds, the side effects they experience are much more severe than an ordinary person consuming more than an ounce of almonds. In case you are allergic to nuts, it is best to consult your doctor before consuming almonds.
Can you overdose on Almonds?
Yes, you can overdose on almonds if you consume more than an ounce of almonds daily for a particularly long time. In such a case, you can suffer from numerous side effects like:
- Excessive consumption of almonds can result in an allergic reaction. The symptoms of such a reaction include scratchy throat, dry mouth, and mouth swelling.
- Consuming almonds excessively means that you are consuming manganese in excessive quantity as well.An excessive quantity of manganese can impact your blood pressure and digestive system. If you’re consuming some medicines regularly to maintain your blood pressure, excessive manganese can also interfere with those medications.
- As highlighted above, almonds also consist of vitamin E. Vitamin E can improve your skin’s blood circulation and healing when you suffer from an injury.Excessive consumption of almonds means that blood coagulation will be interrupted; therefore, you can experience excessive blood loss in case of an injury.
Thus, you can overdose on almonds, and the side effects of such an overdose are pretty drastic. That is why it is best to consume almonds in limited quantities.
Raw vs Roasted?
When you do not add anything to roasted almonds, the nutrition they provide is the same as that of almonds. However, apart from that, we will highlight a few differences below.
The taste of raw and roasted almonds is different. However, many prefer the smoky or salty taste of roasted almonds. This is because of the fats released while roasting the almonds. If you prefer that, you can go with roasted ones. Make sure you do not add salt or other ingredients while roasting.
Roasting almonds certainly changes their texture. The change in texture means that your body can digest almonds much better. That is why, if you’re searching for a form of almonds that are easier to digest even when consuming 1 ounce of almonds daily, go with roasted almonds.
The calories of roasted almonds increase only when adding oil to them. Other than that, there is no difference in calories.
Thus, there is no clear winner between roasted and raw almonds. However, consuming roasted almonds provides a better taste and is easier to digest.