Pressure washers are incredible tools that clear away dirt, mud, and other debris from various exterior surfaces around the house. Even beginners can easily adjust the angle and water pressure, ensuring the tool works with utmost efficiency.
But if you own a pressure or power washer long enough, you will invariably encounter a leak in it somewhere down the line. And a high pressure hose repair might be challenging for most homeowners at first.
In this guide, you will learn how to extend the life of your hose and how to repair a leak – one of the most familiar hose damages.
Repairing a leak
Superficial scratches and dents on the exterior of the hose are not something to worry about much. But when you have a leak in the hose, you will need to fix it as soon as possible, since it could worsen if neglected. Follow these quick high-pressure hose repair steps to get the job done effectively.
- If you are using an electric washer, unplug it immediately and allow all the water to drain out.
- Ensure the leak and its surrounding areas are completely dry, as dry hoses seal faster.
- Take a sharp blade and make a square cut on each side of the leak, carefully removing the part with the hole.
- Find a compression fitting that matches the diameter of your hose.
- Create a compression seal with the fitting, using a wrench to tighten it.
- Use Teflon tape to secure an M22 adapter to the fitting.
- Finally, connect the adapter to the hose.
Ways to ensure the hose works for a long time
With an increasing number of people using these tools, the global pressure washer market is expanding on an immense scale. But along with buying the device and using it effectively, you must also maintain it well.
The following steps can help you prolong the life and durability of your pressure washer and hose.
- Invest in an extension- as it can make it easier for you to clean various parts of your home exterior without having to constantly lug the machine with you wherever you go.
- Apply lube on hose connectors- This will prevent them from drying, and therefore, twisting and tearing off.
- Use the correct pressure nozzle for a suitable surface- The washer tips are color-coded, denoting spray pattern and speed. Make sure you use the recommended pressure levels for each surface to avoid damaging it.
- Only use cleaning liquids designed especially for pressure hoses- Most general-purpose detergents contain bleach, acids, and other harsh ingredients that may damage hoses. Also, never leave any soap in the dispenser as it can ruin the pump.
- Buy the right accessories- You can get filter screens, gutter cleaner attachments, and quick-connect adapters, among other things. These will add to your convenience when using the hose.
- Follow safety measures- You should always be careful when using pressure washers as they are powerful devices. Leaving them unattended during use can be potentially dangerous. For instance, if you park the machine too close to delicate structures, the heat from it could cause paint and vinyl to peel off it. In more severe cases, it can also start fires.
With all the above information in mind, you should be able to handle hose repairs easily and extend your washer’s lifespan as well. You can always consult a professional for more details or assistance.